• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Skydoggy

Dunking question

Skydoggy

Hello everyone,

After patiently following the 6q monotub process I have finally got two tubs of mushrooms to the pinning stage. It has actually taken a couple of months to get to this point. The spawn jars took over a month to colonize and the spawn run has taken 3 weeks so far. I suspect that spores I have are a bit on the sleepy side, and I made the mistake of not keeping the spawn run warm enough.

Anyhow, I have what would seem to be a dumb question. The Tek talks about dunking the media for 24 hours and then letting it drain: 

- I assume that I have to take the media out of the black plastic to let it drain after soaking?

- Is there any risk of the media breaking up when it’s wet?

- Do I need to do this in a glove box?

6E194403-B6DB-4179-A982-032C7DFB5E57.jpeg.aee8e6aac9e06d13f1ecc367c5134f9a.jpeg- Do I need to boil the water, or use distilled water?

Thanks 

• Like 2

El_Piraña

Good job on getting this far. To dunk you can pour water directly into the tub. Some people put weight on top of the sub to hold it under the water (like using a spare tub with weight in it.) You can pour out the water while holding the sub in the original tub, no need to remove it. You can also drill a small drain hole in a bottom corner that can then be plugged afterwards.
Using tap water is questionable, depends on the quality in your area. I just use RO filtered water for everything in my grows.

Instead of a typical dunk, you can also just spray the hell out of it, it should soak up most of the water. This tends to be much easier on larger tubs rather than trying to move them around and risk damaging the substrate.

no need for a glove box.

• Like 1

Skydoggy

@El_Piraña, Thanks for the reply.  I harvested all the mushrooms with open veils today and although it didn't weigh them it was enough to cover two trays in my dryer.  There were quite a few that hadn't opened or just starting to grow.  Should I harvest them too, or let them mature and then dunk?

IMG_0515.jpg

El_Piraña

I can’t see the pic cause my phone is messed up, but I know what you’re talking about. There have been some times when I’ve done a partial harvest, just let the remaining fruits mature as much as you want and harvest the remaining fruits. Then dunk immediately afterwards. I don’t tend to like partially harvesting because the growing is staggered and it’s harder to time things (like when to dunk) sometimes it just doesn’t make sense to cut em all out if they’re really not ready.

• Like 1

Skydoggy

I did a partial harvest of the Burma and the remainder only took 2 days to mature, so I dunked the tub and drained it today.  The other tub is Golden Teachers and they pretty much all fruited at the same time.  I got a lot more mushy's out of the Golden Teachers tub.

On to grinding & dryng!!

• Like 1

Skydoggy

@El_Piraña, another question if I may. Is it worth adding a bit more casing after dunking? - Thanks

El_Piraña

I never do. On a similar note, I actually try to be very careful while harvesting not to damage the primordia on the surface of the substrate because that will grow the future flushes’ pins. I use a sharp exacting knife to cut the fruits cleanly right at the base. I cringe when I see pictures of others’ harvests and it looks like they ripped out a bunch of substrate with the fruits lol

I see in your picture it appears you also used a knife for the partial harvest. On the final harvest (I know, you’ve already done it) you can cut them right at the level of the casing. 

• Like 1

Sonshyn

I’ve been wondering about harvesting technique and dunking . Haven’t had much luck on second flushes half the time I end up getting a blue spot on a tiny abort I overlooked . 

• Like 1

El_Piraña
11 hours ago, Sonshyn said:

I’ve been wondering about harvesting technique and dunking . Haven’t had much luck on second flushes half the time I end up getting a blue spot on a tiny abort I overlooked . 

What’s happening to your second flushes? Are they contaminating or just not really growing out with mature fruits?

I will cut out a lot of the pins when I’m harvesting. I figure since there’s actives in them, I dry them with the rest, but if the pins are very small I don’t bother.

Are the pins you are referring to new growth or leftover from the previous flush?

Sonshyn

I think they are from tiny aborts I missed . 

Also when you cut them from the sub you don’t have problems from that area getting moldy ? Or do you go back and remove more ? 

Ryeguy85

I usually harvest in a couple stages maybe 2 days apart. When I do remove I twist and rock at the base of the fruit until the whole section of tissue pops out, I trim off all the junk afterwords with a scalpel. Once I get mostly all the aborts, pins, and fruits off I stack the same size tub or a smaller tub lid on the substrate so I can weight it down with a heavy object without damaging the mat. Then I just fill with water until the sub mat is covered. I only soak for maybe 8hrs. Hopefully this was helpful for you. Good luck. If you stack the same sized tub into the one with the mat you will have to fill first with water. I also do all of this in the bathtub over night so if I get overflow out my filter patch's it goes down the drain.   

• Like 2

El_Piraña
4 hours ago, Sonshyn said:

Also when you cut them from the sub you don’t have problems from that area getting moldy ? Or do you go back and remove more ? 

Never have problems with it getting moldy. I’ve gone up to 5 flushes on some tubs, although at that point I may only get a few fruits in a full size monotub.  the base of the stem that remains will fuzz over, but that fuzz is mycelium and not mold. 

8 minutes ago, El_Piraña said:

Never have problems with it getting moldy. I’ve gone up to 5 flushes on some tubs, although at that point I may only get a few fruits in a full size monotub.  the base of the stem that remains will fuzz over, but that fuzz is mycelium and not mold. 

Oh, I didn’t mean to make it sound like there’s never mold contaminations, this does happen from time to time. But I just meant that it has never appeared to be caused by exposing part of the stem by cutting at the base.

• Like 1