• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Mycomeso

Mycelium and Nutrient uptake Q?

Mycomeso

So without nutrient agar for the mycelium to feed on does it then turn upon itself to solidify and consolidate its advances?This is my first foray into agar and Petri and just really trying to get a grasp on it all.

https://imgur.com/gallery/T3lB5kT

tonz-o-funguy

i take u took that from a grain jar already colonized the agar must be contaminated if the mycelium didn't spread. You can always biopsy it also just poke the tip of say a sewing needle or a sterile q tip would be suffice. Poke a spot you'd like to isolate the genetics of, this beats tossing grain on the agar which I also did at first theres nothing wrong with it i guess just easier to poke and hope and it takes a few day to see growth but now you have pinpoint genetics. Follow sterile procedure by cleaning the syringe with alcohol in between pokes.  Agar comes nutritious u can always dye agar with food dye, red dye seems best to clearly see mycelium and wrap in petris in parafilm. i use glad minis thinking of goin to petris though i they have a red top and makes it hard to see inside.