• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sonshyn

1/2 gallon jars for NSNS WBS

Sonshyn

Had a question to pose before I try this. If you have a half gallon jar and filled it to the 1000ml line with rinsed and sifted WBS and filled the water to the 500 ml line would it get to temp during the 90 minute PC run ?

I’m wondering because it is thicker than a quart And is more like a bag.

Would running it longer burst a lot more seeds and end up not worth it ? 

• Like 1

Sonshyn

So I tried this on a couple half gallon jars but these didn’t have the ml only cups so I did 4 cups wbs and then water to the 2 cup line . Pc for 90 . When I took them out to shake them there was quite a bit that stuck to the bottom even after knocking around for a while . Shook them again 15 minutes later and more but not all came off. 

Will see how well they reabsorb the water and Noc them up tomorrow and we will see how they go from there . I’ll update it as it goes . 

• Like 1

El_Piraña

I like nsns but it can sometimes be a problem with grains sticking. Do you have any pics of the jars?

I’ve downsized a lot and now I have just been experimenting with buying just enough grain for the jars I’m planning to inoculate. Used brown rice for some and wheat berries for others.  When I tried nsns on the wheat it turned out pretty bad, really a sticky mess at the bottom of the jars, so I had to go with traditional hydration. I used to do nsns all the time with wbs or millet only.

Sonshyn

I don’t have any pics right now and can’t access them for a week . They weren’t too clumpy when I went to noc them up but still had some clumps like a quarter sized . 

I guess we will see how they do and if 90 minutes is enough in the pc for a larger size and volume . 

So when you did NSNS wbs they bottom half that was sitting in the water was super moist and soaked after the pc and then you shake them and it redistributes the moisture to the other grains over the next day or two right ? 

How was the millet NSNS ? Thinking about trying that or milo .

• Like 1

El_Piraña

This is the one I used almost exclusively. Tried a couple other nsns teks but I didn’t like them as much as this.

I actually really liked using millet. I went to a bird seed store nearby looking for milo but they didn’t sell it, they said it wasn’t as nutritious for birds and it’s mainly a filler ingredient. So I went ahead and bought the 40 lb bag of millet. It was very clean, spent zero time cleaning out unwanted seeds, etc. I also liked the size of the seeds, although I would like milo just as well. 

I noticed that the hydration was so-so, I would always find a few grains that burst, but it was never a problem, even going through two of those 40 lb bags. I would also get a few smaller clumps that I just couldn’t break up, but that was never a problem either, just not ideal. Same issues when using wbs.

Definitely shake the jars right away when the PC drops pressure. And yes, shake the jars regularly over the next couple days (you can do less time if you want.)

• Like 1

Sonshyn

Buffalo really did spell out some of the details I was pondering . Going to have to try to find some millet or milo while I’m out and about . 

Sonshyn

Update* 

mai here we are 11 days after I hit these up with 1-2ccs of lc. 

Idk if you can see it but I still have a wet milo kernel under the southernmost myc and I’m wondering if it will start exuding that milky stuff like my popcorn has 😕 

always something in this hobby to keep you guessing . 

image.jpg

There is a pic for reference on the popcorn . 

image.jpg

Fungi2b

Give it a shake to distribute the moisture and myc