• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sonshyn

Popcorn turns milky

Question

Sonshyn

Does anyone have any idea why my popcorn gets all watery and then milky about halfway through colonizing my spawn ? 

It’s a real bummer bc that myc looks nice and we are going good and then 💩

always appreciate the input 

image.jpg

17 answers to this question

Fungi2b

Over hydration of your grain.

Sonshyn

Thanks 

Fungi2b

Yeah just my opinion but you shouldn't have water pooling around the grain after the p.c.  some ppl will allow there grains to dry on a screen after the soak.  The extra water is a great place for bacterial infection to start.  i.m.e it's better to be a lil dry during the grain run and moisture can be added when you birth to your substrate.  Adding a lil dry verm b4 you p.c goes a long way to sucking up extra water.

Sonshyn

Thanks I’ve got a ton of fine verm doing nothing but taking up space . I’ll add a little to the bottom of the jars 

• Like 1

Fungi2b

About 1/16th inch at the bottom will catch all your extra condensation as it forms and runs down the wall of the jar.  Good luck moving forward,  let me know if it makes any difference for you.

Sonshyn

I did these about 20 days ago and added a little verm to the bottom . 

The wbs was a NSNS , and be Popcorn I did like I’d normally do then added verm before sterilizing .  

Just did 1 jar out of the regular batch of each to see what would happen and most of the other popcorn is lagging behind this one . The wbs is about the same as it’s contemporaries maybe a buy bit better . 

Might be into something here . 

image.jpg

Fungi2b

Same strain in both?

Sonshyn

Yes

Fungi2b

Hard to glean a lot from these tho, too many variables due to comparing wbs and corn and the wbs jar being too full for proper gas exchange. Try keeping them about as full as your corn jar to limit the amount of "stalled" jars. Also not shaking the jars after the p.c makes it really hard to shake after colonization sometimes you can't break it up and you end up with a dead spot In  the middle of your jar. That area of uncolonized grain will act as a jump off point for molds when you birth or spawn to substrate.

Sure as hell looks like it likes corn tho don't it?

Sonshyn

I’ll try and cut back some to get better gas exchange from the wbs. It just got shaken up the day before so it’s not going to be pristine like the popcorn rn. 

• Like 1

Fungi2b

That corn looks really nice buddy, I bet you get a nice tub outta it. When you spawn to substrate are you gonna mix them or "keep 'em seperated"?

Sonshyn

Hey hey! Come out and play !

probably going to g2g that corn . I used my LCs a lot last month after having them sit on the shelf for many months and want to see how this stuff hits a few different things . 

• Like 1

Fungi2b

That sounds like a great idea.  Remember when you prep the grain jars your gonna g2g to to leave room for that extra grain so you have good gas exchange. 

Sonshyn

Yeah that might’ve been where I’ve messed up the last couple months . Good catch 

Fungi2b

If I think of anything else i learned from g2g that might help ill be sure to post it here for you. 

I belong to the church of dry grain now, b4 you put your grain in the jar it should be well hydrated but it shouldn't stick to your hand.  If your gonna boil your grain do it low and slow so you don't split your grains.  These steps will really lower chances of tams and ensure your spawn takes hold fast. To dry your grains use a window screen or even shake it around in a cardboard box.  Just remember to tape the bottom flaps down first. These steps are important when doing g2g because your exposing your sterile grains to open air when doing g2g.

Mycomeso

@Fungi2b I like your point about shaking Right after PC!I see you said something about cracked hulls, and I was just sitting here wondering if cracked hulls are really all that big of a problem if the moisture is correct? I ask because I just started using oats and I would say the majority of mine are split open but they are growing and doing wonderful and just spawned some. Perhaps you might know how It affects grow time and weight?

@Sonshyn just Lil bit of sterile verm will do you wonders At the bottom!Let us know how them beauties turn out!

• Like 1

Fungi2b

Not really if moisture is good and it's sterile. Keeping them from splitting just keeps things cleaner by cutting down on the "slime" in the jars.  Tams get a foothold in that extra moisture and nutes pretty fast.  I'm not experienced enough to comment on yield differences but I can say too much water can stall your jars.