• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

MagicalCriminal

Harmalas extraction

MagicalCriminal

Polish_20200309_081152727.jpg.449c81a96ffafd9530e25868c038c2f0.jpg

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I've posted. Had to stop playing with mush due to time constraints with work. I have managed to keep up with some chem lessons though.

This is my first successful harmalas extraction. The first was spilled after reduction.

1. Crude harmala tea on the right, and the first wash in the flask. 2. Salting out the dangerous alkaloids. 3. Close up of harmala needles. Sorry for the quality. 4. Harmalas freebase in basic solution. 5.  Refined harmalas acetate(4.687g) on the left  and leftover crude freebase on the right.

I'm not sure if anyone would really want to poteniate a mush trip since they are about perfect length for me, but should you want to I recommend properly prepared harmalas over a pharma MAOI  since food and drug interaction is much safer with RIMAs than MAOI.  Harmalas work great with DMT.

The Tek I chose is available on the Nexus but there was still a lot of guess work without listed measures or pH values.  Many mistakes were made but hopefully I learned from them. Feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to respond quickly.

• Like 2

tonz-o-funguy

what did you use to strain your harmalas? I got some filtering now its been a pain. I stated out with 2 packs of wild syrian rue was really cheap like 14 bucks 250g I also got bridgesii seeds and ephedra seeds started under the full moon yesterday. Well back to the rue i boiled it and now I'm straining it. Next I gotta salt which I need to get some rock salt bc your not supposed to use table salt correct? Can you use sea salt?

Oh and i used the leftover rue seed in some substrate figured why not rather than through it out.

MagicalCriminal

I started with a pillow case, then moved to single coffee filter in a vac funnel, which took multiple attempts. More vac filtering was done between each salting, acid and base steps. Basically Everytime it changed phases I filtered again. Filtering is the biggest PIA for rue extraction. I'm going to pressure cook whole seed next time to reduce the flour caused by grinding the seed. I believe 2 rounds in the PC will remove the alks without making flour.

I use Morton's kosher but any non iodized will work.

Mushinist
On 3/11/2020 at 6:44 AM, MagicalCriminal said:

Filtering is the biggest PIA for rue extraction. 

I use Morton's kosher but any non iodized will work.

I'll agree with the first statement, and wow I cant believe you ground them up, most the alks are on the outer part of the shell, which is why cold water extraction works well. But yes it produces tons of sludge.

I'd advise against using any kind of "table salt" since they usually put anti caking agents in them, stick with kosher, pickling salt.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal
On 3/14/2020 at 12:02 PM, Mushinist said:

I'll agree with the first statement, and wow I cant believe you ground them up, most the alks are on the outer part of the shell, which is why cold water extraction works well. But yes it produces tons of sludge.

I'd advise against using any kind of "table salt" since they usually put anti caking agents in them, stick with kosher, pickling salt.

Hey bud good to hear fro you again!

Nexus reports the alks are in the shell and to crack them. As this was first attempt, I followed the Tek. Next week I will try again but will PC whole seed in an attempt to avoid some of the filtering. I had planned on rinsing the dust from the seed but your suggestion it on the outer part of the shell, has me questioning the rinse.

I was surprised a few months back to learn Morton's kosher uses sodium ferrocyanide for anticaking as does many kosher and non iodized salts. Considering cynide is part of the name I was worried about reactions causing the conversion or release of cynide. Hours of research later concluded the chance of being poisoned by using it for extraction to be unnoteworthy. Personal choice and research should always be considered.

Mushinist

I tried using table salt once, it didn't turn out so well, I had a strange reaction that I hadn't seen before and no one else could answer to why or what did it. Anyways it turned the whole batch to something like a semi stiff foam with a consistency of a thick tapioca pudding. From that point on I used nothing but pickling salt. 

And good to know on the kosher salt, just another I won't use anymore, so thanks for the info!

I always have great results using whole seed, I normally do the tao of rue tek if I have time. Adding a dash of vinegar to the boil water helps draw out the alks as well.

And I'm around, just usually not on this forum, there are others that are way more active. I still poke in from time to time. Plus I'm banned from chat so I cant chat to anyone lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

phish
8 hours ago, Mushinist said:

Plus I'm banned from chat so I cant chat to anyone lol.

😂 you,me, and a couple others I bet 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MagicalCriminal
On 3/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, Mushinist said:

And good to know on the kosher salt, just another I won't use anymore, so thanks for the info!

Glad I could help give you more info. I haven't had any issues with MHRB, Syrian Rue, or morning glory extraction using the Morton's. I love pickling salt for how fast it dissolves though. Wish it was as cheap.😕

• Like 1

tonz-o-funguy

Yeah I used some rock salt it came out sludgey for some reason not sure, I'll definitely have to get some I plan on ordering some mhrb abrb or something to add to the rue sludge i got I might order new rue also and give this away maybe I can salvage it by making a tincture? if you look around you can get a kilo of wild rue for 31.50 which it definitely helps with seasonal depression ive felt alot better since taking micro doses that past few weeks. I pc'd them wish i would have stuck them in a sack or shirt first would've made things easier

tonz-o-funguy

found this today i thought it was interesting uses i dont not know about..........

Peganum Harmala (Syrian Rue) Medicinal Uses

Peganum harmala seeds are the most concentrated natural source of Harmala alkaloids (Harmine and Harmaline).

In modern Western culture it is used widely for its strong MAO-inhibiting properties and is commonly used as a substitute for Banisteriopsis caapi vine - the key plant ingredient in the sacramental beverage Ayahuasca.

In the Middle East, Peganum harmala has been used both as an entheogen and as a medicine for many centuries, below you can read more.

Use of Peganum harmala in Iranian traditional herbal medicine

I can cure dementia. My incense heals the toothache. I am useful for curing drug addiction. I cure coughing. Prescribe me for blood purifying. My smoke treats allergy. I cure asthma if you use me according to direction.

In Persian I named esfand, I am also called sepand and espand. In Arabic I am called harmel. I am those black seeds that sit on the Persian wedding trays and I put in fire to ward off evil eyes.

I grow in all wastelands and desert margins of Iran including Tehran-Saveh, Tehran-Qom, Isfahan-Kashan, Qazvin-Rostamabad (Rudbar), Karaj suburbs, Azna-Bushehr, Tafresh and several other regions in Iran. My seeds are hypnotic, cause perspiration, anti-worm and promote menstruation. I loose mucus; I am lactogogue, diuretic and carminative, laxative for eczema and phlegm and anthelmintic of Taenia. Eating my seeds is beneficial for treatment of epilepsy (hysteria), dementia and other neurotic and psychic diseases. I am useful for curing hydropsy and sciatic. Eating my soaked seeds is useful for digesting eczematous materials, blood purifying and loosing mucus. Boiling 37 grams of my seeds with four time of water and then filtered the solution and mix it with 100 gram of honey and 70 grams of sesame oil is useful for asthma and cure dry as well as wet cough if it is gradually eaten for one month. If you put a small quantity of the seeds in 30 times as much water of grape juice and boil to a quarter and drink each day 10 grams for 30 days, it would have an undeniable effect for hysteria. If those suffering from sciatic eat 7.5 grams of my seeds continually for 15 days, it will be cure. My seeds accompany with flax seed and honey is prescribed for asthma. Those who are addicted to drug can roast my seeds and then pound them with honey for cure. My smoke is anti-allergy hence it is useful for fighting evil eye of people who we have allergy. My incense alleviates toothache. I should be eaten from 5 grams to 10 grams and exceeding that in eating would be poisonous. I will cure hasty ejaculation which caused by debauchery and I am the most useful drug for nocturnal emission.

Chemical composition

Esfand seed has alkaloids like Harmine, Harmaline and Harmalol. Medically the Harmaline gives power to central nervous system.

Therapeutic properties

Strong anti-bacteria, lactogogue, promote menstruation, carminative, diuretic, anthelmintic of Taenia, beneficial for neurotic disease, epilepsy, palsy, dementia, amnesia,  hydropsy and alleviation for sciatic, purifies blood. The esfand’s extract is beneficial for palsy, tremor, and epilepsy, muscles’ jerk, alleviation of backache, sciatic, phlegmatic kidney and womb. The seeds of Esfand are analgesic and will reduce stomachache and refrigerant.

Direction

-Esfand powder: Those who suffer from sciatic should eat 5-7.5 grams of pounded esfand each night for 15 days to alleviate the pain- the mixture of esfand powder with flax seed and a little honey is useful for asthma.

- Esfand’s seeds powder: to avoid flatulence, pound 10 gram seeds of esfand, add 250 grams of honey to it and eat three teaspoons daily. If you mix the powder with datura extract and put it on beaten muscles, alleviate the pain and decrease the swell immediately. To control epilepsy, stroke the seeds of esfand and use two grams at the evenings for two months.

- Mixtures of esfand’s seeds with other herbs: For curing of hoarseness mix 5 grams of esfand with 10 grams of Hyssop and 25 grams of honey and use three teaspoon daily.

- Anti-asthma syrup: stroke two grams of esfand’s seeds with two grams of puree. Solve the mixture with a cup of honey and add decoction of hollyhock, fennel, violet and 30 grams of figs to it. The result is real efficient anti-asthma syrup.

- The esfand’s leaves decoction: the decoction is useful for traumatism.

- Soaking: the soaking of it is useful for blood purifying and expulsion of eczema.

- The decoction of the herb with grape juice: boil 450 grams of esfand with 15 kg grape juice let ¾ of it to be evaporated and use 60 grams of decoction for one month to cure chronic headache and to control epilepsy.

- Brewing the herb: Rub the brewing to muscles to empower them and to avoid weakness. Mix the brewing with sesame oil and use for a while to cure lung and liver disease.

- Massage lotion: boil 5 grams of esfand with 15 grams of dills, 15 grams chamomile, 10 grams of Yellow Sweet Clover Seeds and 5 grams of galangal and put the convulsive organ of the patient in cold lotion and massage it.

- Massage lotion: pound 50 grams of Esfand’s seeds halfly and soak it in boiling water. Then boil the mixture unless it became the half. Put the remaining mixture in 200 grams of sesame oil and rub it to the paralyzed organ regularly.

- Esfand’s seeds plaster: to alleviate the pains of joints mix 10 grams of esfand’s seeds with 10 grams of marjoram, 10 grams chamomile and 10 gram yellow sweet clover seeds and pound them all. Then add flower oil and make the plaster.

- Esfand’s extract: massage with this extract is beneficial for trepidation, weakness, epilepsy and muscles’ jerk. The enema with the esfand’s extract is useful for alleviating of backache, sciatic, phlegmatic kidney and womb.

- Herbal bath: if an organ of the body becomes paralyzed, mix and boil the equal measure of esfand’s seeds, marjoram, chamomile, the leaves of bitter orange, ruta graveolens, lavender, lemon balm, leaves of marshmallow and make the patient to sit in it. This herbal bath is very useful to cure paralyzed patient.

- Washing lotion: the decoction of Esfand’s root is used for killing louses.

- Effective drug for nerves: to control temptation, mental and physical fatigue and revive youthful energy, mix 5 grams of esfand’s powder with 5 grams of ginger, 5 grams of cloves, 15 grams of basil seeds, 10 grams of lemon balm and 5 grams of cardamom and then pound it. Mix it with 250 grams of honey and eat three teaspoonful daily.

tonz-o-funguy

On 3/9/2020 at 3:29 PM, MagicalCriminal said:

Polish_20200309_081152727.jpg.449c81a96ffafd9530e25868c038c2f0.jpg

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I've posted. Had to stop playing with mush due to time constraints with work. I have managed to keep up with some chem lessons though.

This is my first successful harmalas extraction. The first was spilled after reduction.

1. Crude harmala tea on the right, and the first wash in the flask. 2. Salting out the dangerous alkaloids. 3. Close up of harmala needles. Sorry for the quality. 4. Harmalas freebase in basic solution. 5.  Refined harmalas acetate(4.687g) on the left  and leftover crude freebase on the right.

I'm not sure if anyone would really want to poteniate a mush trip since they are about perfect length for me, but should you want to I recommend properly prepared harmalas over a pharma MAOI  since food and drug interaction is much safer with RIMAs than MAOI.  Harmalas work great with DMT.

The Tek I chose is available on the Nexus but there was still a lot of guess work without listed measures or pH values.  Many mistakes were made but hopefully I learned from them. Feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to respond quickly.

So I defatted my rue solution with lye  then froze filtered and now evaporating  yellowish brown liquid looks just like what you have pictured!! I did add some epsom salts instead of the rock salt not sure how it affected it but I got great results now. Next time I'll cwe the whole shabang.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

The last pic shows refined harmalas hcl (yellow) next to the the first filtering of FB. The jar with the white sediment is freebase after several rounds of salting and basing.

A few days ago I really screwed up. The week before I had been eating 2-3 corned beef sammiches a day along with many foods high in tryamine.  37mg of harmine hcl sublingual put me on the floor with several symptoms of serotonin syndrome for about 1-2 hours. Thought I was going to be found a naked and bloated corpse in a few weeks. Very uncomfortable. First time I had any issues with harmalas even when dosing 200mg. I had become complacent. Never again.

Please be careful with diet and meds when using MAOIs or RIMAs. 

• Like 1