1 out of 10 bags growing. Am i doing something wrong??

Hey guys. Its my second time growing mushies and the first time i just did them in the bags. This time im doing bags into a monotub style grow. I made a liquid culture and innoculated 10 spawn bags(5 grain) from non-sponsor vendor with B+ spores. The culture looked great and im a little over a week into innoc. They are in a constant 78 degree area and i give them air exchange by flapping the tops of the totes they are in for like 5-10 seconds a day. Im just confused as to why i have ONE bag going crazy and none of the others are showing anything. Any idea what im doing wrong here??

Mush Zombie

Are you saying that you inoculated the bags and have been opening them before they are fully colonized?

• Like 1

I have not opened the bags. My bags are 2 weeks in as of tomorrow. One has a ton in it and the 9 others maybe like a half dollar size of mycelium. And no i dont have the humidifier on thats in the one pic and no i dont have the lights on. Temps stay around 80ish. The kit i bought said to keep it 74-76 degrees but i read B+s want higher temps for colonizing. Im also curious if jars would work better for innoculating. I dont seem to have very good luck with bags so far...

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Oh and the one doing really well is the bottom left one in the second pic. The others kinda look like they have myc due to the reflection of the condensation inside

Yes. I did a liquid culture first and shook it good then extracted it into the needle and pushed the LC in 3 different spots in each bag. I shook the needle between bags as well.

Mush Zombie

Just sounds like not as much mycelium was used in the other bags.

you can turn the temp up to 82. 

• Like 1

I tried my best to get a bunch in the syringe and equally in the bags. I may have put a little more in the first bag because i wasnt used to the needle but damn. If id have known, id have put more in all of them! I was told like 7-10ml in each bag. Do you think they will come through within a week or so? And the higher temps will help colonize faster? Also are jars easier to spawn than bags? Ive only ever used bags since the have more in them and i dont have to do so many injections but would swap to jars if they would give me better success.

Mush Zombie

1. If they are not contaminated yes.

2. Turning the temp up should help speed colonization as long as it doesn’t get too hot. For cubensis, I typically turn it up to 85 as soon as I inoculate and turn it down to 77* a day or two after I shake. Mycelium generates its own heat so once there’s a decent amount it can get too hot.

3. Jars vs spawn bags is a matter of preference. I prefer jars. It’s what I started with and just what I like to work with. They each have pros and cons. You got to figure out what works for you.

Thanks for your help! I dont see any contams in the existing mycelium thankfully. I made a still air box and made sure everything was super sterile. I bumped my space heater up to 81 which should sit the temp around like 81-82ish. This will be ok for the remainder of the innoc process? And when do you shake them? I have not done that and im 2 weeks in tomorrow. Is that an issue? I just asked about jars vs bags because if jars are easier to get goo myc from but harder to do, i dont mind. Im just trying to do whatevers gonna give me a harvest, ya know?

Mush Zombie

Bags hold more spawn so they can take longer to colonize if you don’t use enough mycelium as you found out. Also you risk losing more materials if a bag or two do contaminate.

Overall those are not serious cons to using spawn bags. I’ve tried it I just don’t do well with bags. That’s just me. Bags work great for many people.

Shake your bags up around 20% colonization. So when one side of the bag is mostly colonized about. You can use all sides to guesstimate.

Gotcha. Its said 7-10cc and i thought i did even more than that in each bag. If i have to do it again, maybe like 15-20cc in each bag? And i grew my LC for like 6 days. It was pretty cloudy especially when i shook it. Should i let it go another day or 2 to thicken up more?

Mush Zombie

Hm. Cloudy isn’t really a good thing. Cloudy liquid can mean bacteria. Can you shake it up and post a picture of the lc with a light behind it or get a good pic somehow?

• Like 1

Well, it looked like clouds flouting around and looked just like all the pics ive seen. The actual liquid was pretty clear. I dont have the LC anymore or id snap some. Ill have to buy more spores and do it again. The one bag that has a lot in it doesnt look like it has any contams. Bright white and theres no black or green or anything like that. 

Some bags have nothing and a few have like the small amount. Dont know why the pics are sideways XD Im curious, what were the problems you had with the bags?

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg