Cactus Through the Winter

El_Piraña

Yeah you got just a lot growth.  Mine get noticeably thinner growth during winter. Do you get much sun through that window?

• Like 1
mushmouth
2 minutes ago, El_Piraña said:

Yeah you got just a lot growth.  Mine get noticeably thinner growth during winter. Do you get much sun through that window?

I would say no, especially with the blind only open a little bit, but it looks like they grew about an inch. That window faces south west.

The newer pic is closer up so it looks like they grew thickness but I don't think they did.

I'm gona do like @Hillbilly said and replant them when I put them out front.

• Like 2
mushmouth
4 hours ago, Mushinist said:

Mine have been dormant since November, after bringing them in they may get a little light here and there but nothing allowing them to grow, haven't watered them since either. Cant wait to get them back outside. I was looking at them the other day, I have some with 5,6,7 and 8 ribs.

I have some lophs I need to get grafted to a couple smaller cacti also. 

Yours are looking and growing good now mush!

I feel like I give mine too much water... at least, more than other people, but as long as they're growing and staying bright green I'll probably keep doing it...

I completely soak the soil until water starts to come out from under the pot, maybe around every 2-1/2 - 3 weeks. By that time the soil looks really dry.

I'll have to count some ribs later. I might be losing ribs.

• Like 1
Mushinist

I bottom water mine, I just fill the catch basin until it takes no more water. Once they are outside they just get whatever comes from the rain. As long as a good draining soil is used you should be fine with the watering regimen you're using.

• Like 1
mushmouth

But, you see, here’s my real worry...

FF945594-00F5-46FB-A29A-AC06543ECCA2.jpeg.b53b02430c49df7a02212229f580c3cc.jpeg

E4875559-FAC0-4923-B09E-225018258AAE.jpeg.927b8ee2e6de6bcc8c332a5a2fc9e51d.jpeg

E61EFAB5-9532-4499-AB07-2C3EC6753296.jpeg.02bbb0617198353857d6bfd9bb9143e0.jpeg

1A042F6D-DC5E-442F-A281-B03AF0E9D2EF.jpeg.2635504cc0acd3a6cf85e4861d237f4e.jpeg

I’m bad with seedlings :(

These are Lophs started by seeds from @Mushinist a long time ago.

I hope they do better out on the porch through the summer.

• Like 2
Mushinist

Lophs grow slow af, mine are only slightly smaller than a dime, with light on them 365 days. I'll graft them soon which will speed them up, wont increase actives but will grow faster.

Keep those out of the bag and let them dry out a bit. And did I send you lophs, fuck I cant remember anymore lol.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
mushmouth
8 minutes ago, Mushinist said:

Looks like a root 

They do.

Do these cactus flower? It's the only thing that seems like it might be but I didn't think they flower.

Nothing wrong with a donger plant...  other than I might have to stay up way too late to see it bloom.

Mushinist

They do bloom eventually, but those feelers coming out are actually a sign that they aren't being hydrated properly. You may have to adjust your waterings. It sends out feelers to help absorb humidity from the air.

• Like 2
mushmouth
10 minutes ago, Mushinist said:

They do bloom eventually, but those feelers coming out are actually a sign that they aren't being hydrated properly. You may have to adjust your waterings. It sends out feelers to help absorb humidity from the air.

They need more water???

Mushinist

Give them a drink every couple weeks to see how they do, in meantime if you dont like those feelers, you can cut them off.

• Like 1
mushmouth
1 minute ago, Mushinist said:

Give them a drink every couple weeks to see how they do, in meantime if you dont like those feelers, you can cut them off.

I'll make a schedule for every other Friday 👍