5 health benefits of mushrooms

Again I'm back with some trivial information that may already be know by most of our VIP's and Staff, this is mainly information that is pertinant to newbs, there is much to learn about mushrooms aside from the psychedelic ones we are so familiar with

www.besthealthmag.ca/eat-well/nutrition/5-health-benefits-of-mushrooms?slide=1 is were I found the information, its a few years old, 2010ish 2011ish.

Magic mushrooms

Many varieties of mushrooms contain good-for-your-bladder selenium and, like us, they produce vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. Oyster mushrooms are a good source or iron. Plus, they're low in calories: Six medium white, for example, have just 22. Here are some of the many health benefits of mushrooms.

Increase your vitamin D

Yes, vitamin D! Mushrooms are the only fruit or vegetable source of this critical vitamin. Like humans, mushrooms produce vitamin D when in sunlight. Exposing them to high levels of ultraviolet B just before going to market converts more of the plant sterol ergosterol into the so-called sunshine vitamin. In the U.S., portobellos fortified with vitamin D are already being sold, with a three-ounce (85-gram) serving providing about 400 IU of vitamin D (Osteoporosis Canada recommends that adults under 50 get 400 to 1,000 IU daily). William Stevens, CEO of the trade organization Mushrooms Canada, says, “A couple of Canadian producers are already testing this procedure.” He adds that “high D” or “sunshine” mushrooms should be in stores here in about six months or so.(AGAIN THIS IS A FEW YEARS OLD)

Boost your immune system

A study done on mice and published by the American Society for Nutrition found that white button mushrooms may promote immune function by increasing the production of antiviral and other proteins that are released by cells while they are trying to protect and repair the body’s tissues. A later study showed that these mushrooms promoted the maturation of immune system cells–called dendritic cells–from bone marrow. According to he researchers, this may help enhance the body’s immunity leading to better defence systems against invading microbes.

Eat your antioxidants

When it comes to antioxidants—the substances that help fight free radicals that are the result of oxidation in our body—we’re more likely to think of colourful vegetables than neutral-hued mushrooms. But a study at Penn State university showed that the oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC)—a measure of a food’s total antioxidants—of crimini and portobello mushrooms were about the same as for red peppers.

Kick up your metabolism

B vitamins are vital for turning food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), which the body burns to produce energy. They also help the body metabolize fats and protein. Mushrooms contain loads of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and vitamin B3 (niacin): 100 grams (31/2 ounces) of crimini have 44 percent and 30 percent of your daily recommended amount, respectively, white button have 36 and 30 percent, and oyster mushrooms have 32 and 39 percent.

Be good to your bladder

An analysis of seven studies—published last year in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention—showed that the higher the level of selenium, as measured in blood serum and toenails, the lower the risk of bladder cancer. Selenium had a significant protective effect mainly among women, which the researchers believe may result from gender-specific differences in this its accumulation and excretion. Several types of mushrooms are rich in this essential trace mineral: 100 grams of raw crimini have 47 percent of your daily needs, cooked shiitakes have 45 percent and raw white button have 17 percent.

I take no credit for the information, I was only the one who copied it so others can learn

Peace From The East

**D**

• Like 2

3 Health Benefits of Mushrooms

Mushrooms are popping up all over, including in your local produce aisle. You don’t have to be a top chef to prize the lush, earthy flavour of exotic mushrooms. But whether you pick smoky morels or the familiar buttons, you’ll get some newly discovered health benefits.

Safeguard Against Cancer

Mushrooms are rich in disease-fighting phytochemicals, and eating them regularly has been linked to a lower risk of breast cancer in studies of Chinese and Korean women. Mushrooms also prevent prostate cancer cells from multiplying in mice—and might do the same in men.

Supply Hard-to-Get Nutrients

One medium Portobello mushroom supplies 21 percent of the recommended daily intake of selenium and one-third your need of copper; it also has as much potassium as a medium-size banana. Other varieties are just as rich in minerals, a recent analysis found. What’s more, mushrooms retain their nutrients when stir-fried, grilled or microwaved.

Help You Cut Calories

When ground beef was swapped out for mushrooms in lasagna, sloppy joes and chili, adults consumed 400 fewer calories per day, according to a Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health study. Researchers estimate that if you substitute mushrooms for ground meat in one meal every week, you can lose five pounds in a year. Just don’t sabotage this fringe benefit by preparing mushrooms with loads of butter. Instead, toss them into a nonstick pan that’s been lightly sprayed with oil, then sauté on low heat until they soften.

Just spreading Knowledge

Peace From The East

**D**

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
GreenDragonism
5 Star on that Dozzer !!! I have found shrooms get me into eating very healthy and IMHO they are an excellent subsitute to opiate pain pills for pain management :D
  • 1 month later...
moon_walker

thanks for the great info D!! your the man, i cant believe how incredible mushrooms are for the body. I love mushrooms, still want to try lions mane. if it supports nurve ending glowth does that mean itll make me smarter? or just help for alzheimers n things?

just spreading the word that not all mushrooms are a poision & the Lions mane is one of my future endevors as well...personally I cant wait Peace **D**

• 4 months later...

I have a few family members in a lot of pain and there is some regulation now that has cut the prescriptions to a third of what they were so they aren't enough to stop the pain it just tones the aim down a tad. Now for my question what kind of mushroom is great for pain but won't get you all silly and tripping ? Just u mush for pain regulation?

thedsfinest

A lot of the shrooms taken in moderation induce a sense of calm and carelessness. I'm not sure that it is a pain reliever as much as a copeing mechanis. I have bad knees and I can feel them just fine on mushrooms. I just don't really pay attention to it. Another thing would be that psilocybin will stay in your system for about a week and you would be out of control very quickly if trying to use them everyday for pain. You would have to increase the dose daily to achieve the same effect as the day before.

• 4 weeks later...
Those Who Were
how did they do that? i'm not skeptical just curious.

Well I can't explain how it was done in the neurological sense besides that the mushroom and us have a symbiotic relation....while we study the mushroom the mushroom studies us.

What I can tell you is the psychical sensations that were occurring every time I would study them. I would get these electrical currents going from my wrists all the way up my arms on both sides, I guess I could say the currents were going through my tendons. These sensations would creep me out literally to the point of getting a shiver up my spine.  That was happening to me every time I would take mushrooms. It wasn't a one dose and gone, it took about 7 times until the electrical sensations finally stopped and to my surprise so did my carpal tunnel and I never had to get surgery.

I used to to study the mushroom many times before I started to have carpal tunnel and never had those feelings.

Screaminkay
Well I can't explain how it was done in the neurological sense besides that the mushroom and us have a symbiotic relation....while we study the mushroom the mushroom studies us.

What I can tell you is the psychical sensations that were occurring every time I would study them. I would get these electrical currents going from my wrists all the way up my arms on both sides, I guess I could say the currents were going through my tendons. These sensations would creep me out literally to the point of getting a shiver up my spine.  That was happening to me every time I would take mushrooms. It wasn't a one dose and gone, it took about 7 times until the electrical sensations finally stopped and to my surprise so did my carpal tunnel and I never had to get surgery.

I used to to study the mushroom many times before I started to have carpal tunnel and never had those feelings.

damn that's crazy the mushroom never ceases to amaze me.