• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

AL2O3

DIY PC SPAWN BAGS

feedmefodder

Great write up, and cool pics.I went to Walmart today planning to get the supplies for this tek, and found that they have store and zip food saver bags $8 and change....call me cheap, but I didn't splurge for the bag sealer, $49 and change. I did make 12 of the 18 bags using your tek all except for the taping of the tyvek...I just used rtv and stuck the tyvek over the hole, only because I, forgot about the list of supplies that was in my pocket. Do you think that the rtv tyvek patch will hold up in the pc without the tape? I plan to let the rtv dry for 24 hrs. Thks FMF

• Like 2

AL2O3

yes, you can just use RVT and no tape, but you must make sure it is secure. When I first started making them i used just RVT and it worked great, but one time I had a bag the RVT and tyvek filter came off...the patch came off that one time when using Blue RVT and I had made 30 bags before with no problems using blue RVT, But the Red RVT will always come off..it does not stand up to the PC(do not use RED RVT). because I had this one bag with BLUE RVT did not work, I started to tape also just as a precaution and it has never failed me..so yes , if you let the RVT sit for 24 hours it should be Ok,

• Like 1

Sugaree

Great tek! As soon as I can get a good vacuum sealer, I will be doing this!

• Like 1

Dozzer

Love it AL...Gret job, easy and funPeace**D**

BrutalityIsLaw

Awesome, I've been wanting to ditch jars anyway. One thing I can say is maybe some medium to fine grit sandpaper quick little zap before you put the RTV on would probably help it bond onto the bag better. I need to get me a vaccum sealer now.

Guest micki_t

Hi, thanks for a great TEK, this is my first post, and I have just made a spawn bag like your example, but with the following alterations (your opinions are most appreciated!); *I used a Tyvek decorator's overall for the filter material, which I doubled up. *I used an oven bag, as this is what I have, hole and filter cut to a similar size. *I used RTV Black, as hadn't noted people's colour preference before buying it. Hopefully this will be ok (it says its flexible and withstands up to 250oC?). This will be the first bag that I am going to inoculate (well first anything!), so wish me luck! Thank you all for this great forum :)

Mush Zombie

Hi, thanks for a great TEK, this is my first post, and I have just made a spawn bag like your example, but with the following alterations (your opinions are most appreciated!); *I used a Tyvek decorator's overall for the filter material, which I doubled up. *I used an oven bag, as this is what I have, hole and filter cut to a similar size. *I used RTV Black, as hadn't noted people's colour preference before buying it. Hopefully this will be ok (it says its flexible and withstands up to 250oC?). This will be the first bag that I am going to inoculate (well first anything!), so wish me luck! Thank you all for this great forum :)

Black RTV is used in engines where the RTV is going to be in contact with oil. It has something extra in it that protects is from the oil. P.S. welcome to shroomology
  • Like 1

RRedBBeard

When I apply RTV paste to a bag, I punch a 1/4" hole through first and make sure a little of the paste extrudes through the back to hold it securely. Don't paste the 2 sides of the bag together by accident! Does anyone know if a ziplock bag will stand up to a pc? --Rr

Dozzer

When I apply RTV paste to a bag, I punch a 1/4" hole through first and make sure a little of the paste extrudes through the back to hold it securely. Don't paste the 2 sides of the bag together by accident!

Does anyone know if a ziplock bag will stand up to a pc?

--Rr

NO !!! Ziplock's melt, but the zipper holds up...True story, I tried a ziplock and it melted, but they were cheaper and thin ziplock

Peace

**D**

BrutalityIsLaw

When I apply RTV paste to a bag, I punch a 1/4" hole through first and make sure a little of the paste extrudes through the back to hold it securely. Don't paste the 2 sides of the bag together by accident! Does anyone know if a ziplock bag will stand up to a pc? --Rr

Oven bags and foodsaver bags are about all that can stand the PC.

Those Who Were

When I apply RTV paste to a bag, I punch a 1/4" hole through first and make sure a little of the paste extrudes through the back to hold it securely. Don't paste the 2 sides of the bag together by accident! --Rr

Interesting about the way you make your ship. Im actually writing a tek now, but when i do my ship(rtv) i wait until AFTER i PC, then take them out, dry off the outside of the bag, and put a dot on while its still warm. now the rtv will dry while the wbs cools down. kills two birds with one boulder.
  • Like 1