• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

AL2O3

RYE GRASS SEED PREP (RGS)

Dozzer

Man, Thanx for sharing...this is greatly apreciated...now I got to get some RYEPeace From The East**D**

BEYOND2

good job thanks for sharing :)

Str0be

Great Tek dude. Now that I see the pics. Will try this out when I have the time.

Fast

I have always perferred rye above anything else I have used, nice tek.

Flawedprophecy

Nice write up man.

Mush Zombie

This is very excellent. The same way I do mine, but I dont do the simmer thing.NSNS is a terrible idea for any grain spawn imo

Those Who Were

Nice tek write up Bro :lol: ! I have access to a bulk grain place just 7 miles from my house! I may give rye a try! I have used wheat berries before, but I mainly stick with milo and millet...maybe I'll use rye in a tub grow this season!Peace.NS

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

Nice tek write up Bro :lol: ! I have access to a bulk grain place just 7 miles from my house! I may give rye a try! I have used wheat berries before, but I mainly stick with milo and millet...maybe I'll use rye in a tub grow this season!Peace.NS

I have personally found RGS to be inferior to WBS, and of course rye grain, or wheat berries for Cubensis. It will still work, but there is just not much substance for the robust mycelium of cubes to infest... As a result, when you spawn to bulk sub, it will require more time (if it even happens) for the desired result of a healthy, fluffy, solid white substrate for beast mode fruiting.
  • Like 1

BEYOND2

so RGS is better to use for cubensis?

Mush Zombie

so RGS is better to use for cubensis?

no the opposite, IME.Mexicana will do the same on RGS or WBS, but it will out perform both on Rye Grain, or Wheat berries (for sclerotia production if thats what one is into).ATL7 just doesnt care it will colonize a brick if theres some holes in it probably.
  • Like 2

AL2O3

Maybe, The title of the tek and Becasue I called the Large Rye Berry seed ( RYE seed) suggesting that I use seed form a Garden store Intended for lawns. I get my seed/berry for a health food store intended for human consumption. When I looked up "Rye berry" and Rye Seed" I got the same information on both, suggesting that there is not much difference other then size of seed in strain.I agree with MZ that WBS is better to spawn with(I notice this too) because of the amount of seeds that are in a jar with WBS as compared to a rye jar with less seed. WBS will give you a good myc run in the sub for that reason.As far as just casing the grain, I have done both WBS and RYE in sid by side, The RGS out preforms the WBS in this aspect,(the cubes in my sig are just rye cased) It seems that WBS lacks the punch in nutrition to fruit well when just cased.Should I call the tek to RYE berries to clear up confusion?

Mush Zombie

Rye grain, is things like winter wheat, and are berries. What you have looks like the lawn seed for annual or perrenial rye grass. Is that what it is? or is it red wheat, winter wheat, or anything like that?

WyLee

Thank you for this Al :) I was reading a lot about RGS and how it is an easy and popular choice amongst cultivators (or at least used to be).. But I might have gotten a little confused through the comments here. Is what I'm gathering correct?... Spawning to bulk sub with WBS is superior to spawning to bulk sub with RGS... BUT if you are just casing, RGS is superior to WBS? So WBS is better for bulk pretty much. And RGS better for casing. And RGS is always better when sclerotia production is desired. Confirming this and/or adding to is appreciated :P Al, did you spawn to bulk or did you just case, or monotub or something else? Peace.

Mush Zombie

RGS is not as good as wbs that is mostly milo, or rye grains. This should not be confused with rye berries

WyLee

RGS is not as good as wbs that is mostly milo, or rye grains. This should not be confused with rye berries

So rye grain is a totally different outcome than rye grain seed? I get confused bc a lot of sites only say rye in their teks. Is wild bird seed still better than rye grains, or do they have similar results? I haven't even touched on rye berries... don't know what they're best used for yet.. Thanks for ur clarifications MZ!

Mush Zombie

rye berries are what people refer to as rye. I have not used it because it is expensive and hard to find in my area. I think that rye berries are generally winter wheat or something like that. Squidhead would know ;) Rye grass seed is not the same thing, but it can be used as spawn if you need to use it. You will read about mexicana, and similar sclerotia producing species eventually, and people will say "oh RGS is the best spawn for sclerotia." I disagree, wbs was much bettter for me ( I have all that RGS because I wanted to grow mexicana, and read all those dumb posts on other websites about RGS)

WyLee

rye berries are what people refer to as rye. I have not used it because it is expensive and hard to find in my area. I think that rye berries are generally winter wheat or something like that. Squidhead would know ;) Rye grass seed is not the same thing, but it can be used as spawn if you need to use it. You will read about mexicana, and similar sclerotia producing species eventually, and people will say "oh RGS is the best spawn for sclerotia." I disagree, wbs was much bettter for me ( I have all that RGS because I wanted to grow mexicana, and read all those dumb posts on other websites about RGS)

Thanks MZ. I will stick to WBS for now and experiment with rye when I'm more well experienced :)

Alacabensi

I'm always using Rye - not RGS - because I can't get WBS here and Rye is the cheapest I get. I have the suspiction that Rye is better for just casing than substrate. But I can't really say that because I'm actually in the testing process of this. Had some Issues in cause of fresh poo with my subs so I won't really say that.

WyLee

Al, have you ever used rye in an oven bag tek? I want to try this but all the teks I find use mycobags. I have oven bags that I made and would like to try rye in them. Do you have any guidance for me? Thanks!

AL2O3

yes you can use rye in a bag, any bag that can go in the PC and can be nocked. just prepare it how I did and it will be fine. do not move the bag very often thou, this would cause the myc to stress out, I no longer use bags for spawn, I find jars to be much easier to work with. I now only use bags for sub and fruiting now.

WyLee

Hmmm.. maybe I won't use bags for this tek. I don't want to complicate things seeing how I've never used rye. I'll use my quart jars. I have a lot of good LC I want to use up, how many cc's of LC do you think per quart jar? Also, have you ever put verm on the bottom and used more LC than you normally would? Thanks a lot!

AL2O3

1 to 2 cc/ml of LC per jar. I did not like verm in my spawn jars, so I make the moister right the first time, but if you feel you are to wet then you van put some verm in the bottom, for moisture control.

Alacabensi

I tested around with verm in jars because I had the feeling the rye was to dry or to wet sometimes, but meanwhile I'm only using rye without any verm. The method Al is doin it works perfect for me.

Dozzer

Hmmm.. maybe I won't use bags for this tek. I don't want to complicate things seeing how I've never used rye. I'll use my quart jars. I have a lot of good LC I want to use up, how many cc's of LC do you think per quart jar? Also, have you ever put verm on the bottom and used more LC than you normally would?

Thanks a lot!

Fear is not an Option my sista from a different Mista !!! :P

I just wanted to add, that if you dont look forward to the more Complicated(So to speak) processes & experiment for what is working the best for you, unfortunatly you will get bored with the hobby dooing the same thing over and over again...theres nothing wrong with this, but ya never know you may have super luck with Rye over WBS or vise versa...ramble ramble...basically dont be scared to try new out. Sometimes trying new leads you into a whole different though pattern...experimental minds rule this hobby...know what I mean.

Peace

**D**

• Like 1