Easy Agar Dishes

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

ATTENTION: READ THIS UPDATE TO THE TEK. SOME PEOPLE HAD PROBLEMS BECAUSE I WAS NOT CLEAR ABOUT A FEW THINGS AND DON'T FEEL LIKE ADDING IT IN SO HERES A LINK https://www.shroomology.org/topic/9892-concerning-the-easy-agar-dish-tek/

I will start with a disclaimer and advise that parts of this tek are mine, but parts are not. This has probably already been thought of on other OMC that I dont pay any attention to, so if it is WHATEVER

The original concept was brought to my attention by Nine Inch Nails on another forum, with the 4 0z canning jars. I felt that the diameter was too small of the jars he used, and the jar too tall making it inaccessible, and clumbsy to people with sausage fingers, or jittery hands...

That said I hunted for the right canning jar to use as a petrie dish, and here is what I found:
post-1-0-53594900-1326232942_thumb.jpg

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

Ball Half Pint WIDE MOUTH 8 oz. canning jars (they come in packs of 4)
Hammer
Nail
Tyvek envelope
Box cutter/utility knife/exacto knife (whatever)

So first we must make this jar suitable to be used in mycology. That means modifying the lid.

Punch a hole directly in the center of the lid with your nail and hammer:
post-1-0-74156500-1326233005_thumb.jpg

Cut out your tyvek lids by placing the jar lid on the tyvek, and tracing an outline, then cut out with the utility razor knife (like butter ), or you can just put the lid on the tyvek and cut the lids with the lid as a pattern itself.
post-1-0-93016800-1326233121_thumb.jpg

Now you have the means for an effective agar dish
post-1-0-22046900-1326233166_thumb.jpg

Just pour in your agar, treat it like a Grain spawn jar, meaning screw tha ring on tight, and PC for 30 min. 

AGAR RECIPIES:

MYA (malt yeast agar) ***I learned this from squidhead311 on another forum. It is the best in the world IMO!***
For 1 qt of agar

11g agar agar
6g Extra Light (or light) malt extract (dry or syrup)
.5 g yeast extract (active yeast)
1/8 tsp of a ground organic grain (oats, rice, rye etc)

Mix all the dry ingredients together BUT DO NOT MIX THE MALT IN WITH THE OTHERS!
add 450ml COLD WATER (it is important to use cold water to make sure the agar doesnt clump up)
Mix those ingredients well

Put the malt in another container
mix in 50 ml warm water to dissolve the malt
mix the malt liquid in with the rest of the ingerdients, and stir well with a spoon

FOR IMMEDIATE USE:
Pour the MYA into your petri jars
PC @ 15 PSI for 30 min

FOR LONG TERM STORAGE:
Pour the MYA into a quart jar.
PC @ 15 PSI for 30 min
put into refrigerator

• Like 1
Mush Zombie

I am sure you could. You could probably even omit the yeast and it will still work just fine, after all it is really just a solid LC recipie :DHowever, I am not really a cook or anything, but does bread yeast rise?

Mush Zombie

IDK, I would think. I'll just get some yeast extract at the brew store

Regular active yeast is what I use.post-1-0-59942500-1326487499_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this MZ!

I just used this agar recipe and similiar jar tek as per your suggestion over the weekend prior to seeing this thread. The recipe I used had double measurements of the one above - it filled 8 half-pint jars perfectly & solidified great.

The jars are awesome - they were the perfect size and have a great surface area to depth ratio. I went off one of your pics in an agar thread elsewhere and got the tyvek right but made 4 additional small holes on the sides of the metal lid - will that mess anything up?

I guess I'll find out as I am patiently awaiting the results :)

Regarding yeast: any active yeast will work - active meaning alive vs. dead because it is a fungus - bread yeast does rise, just be sure to store it in the fridge or it won't after a few days :)

• Like 1
Mush Zombie

i think the extra holes could cause a problem, by allowing too much moisture to escape too quickly, but that wil not be a problem for growing something out and using it quickly. If anything you will just not be able to store them for long periods of time.

This round is a short-term agar cultivation to get some growth for transfer. Thanks for the heads up on long-term storage - I'll switch the lids out for use on substrate jars from now on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You for putting this together MZ, its much Appreciated !!!Peace**D**

Ive read 1/8" to 1/4" wedges of select rhizomorphic growth, yet Ive personally not tried the agar as of yetPeace**D**

Mush Zombie

its not really the size, but how many. It would be best to chop up the dish into little pieces, maybe like a pea or bigger, and drop about 5-10 of those bad boys in a jar, and shake it up. then you got some quick growth.

• Like 1

Here's some awesome growth I got using the tek and recipe above (+ 4 extra GE holes in the lid so these will not keep long-term). I noc'd this jar with Pink Buffalo on the 14th (13 days ago) - it's hard to see in the pic, but the top of the agar is completely covered, and that's some rhizomorphic growth creeping down the side of the jar! post-20-0-68199500-1327641958_thumb.jpgpost-20-0-25918800-1327641968_thumb.jpgThanks again for posting this MZ - these jars work perfect!

• Like 1

However, I am not really a cook or anything, but does bread yeast rise?

Yes bread yeast rises, but when its heated past 120o F it begins to die off. In the amount of time it takes for the pc to build up I doubt the yeast has produced very much CO2 and even it it does, the agar media isn't thick enough to hold the tiny bubbles in. Just FYI.
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Neowulf

nice job i plan on doing this when i start agar (week or two from now) was wondering though for us without scales would u be willing to post a ml/tsp measurements alongside weights? Also how full do you fill your jars? the line in the middle? just a thin layer? ive heard too full and it can boil over.

Mush Zombie

nice job i plan on doing this when i start agar (week or two from now) was wondering though for us without scales would u be willing to post a ml/tsp measurements alongside weights? Also how full do you fill your jars? the line in the middle? just a thin layer? ive heard too full and it can boil over.

I dont know if I will have time to do that or not before you begin. You might want to just break down and go get you a scale. It will come in handy in the future. I dont use mine every day, or even once a week, but when I do I am glad that I have it! Also pour the agar into the jars so that it is just below the middle line thats on the jar.
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Topics

• Moonphase
      A big gap.  It was a story about ayahuasca and antibiotics that got me wondering about mixing the two being a bad idea.   Thank you for the input.  
    • Samwise
      Intriguing and harrowing case report of someone who injected themselves with mushroom (P. cubensis) tea...spores included. He nearly killed himself doing this, and was on ICU life support for multiple-system organ failure for some time. He had bipolar disorder type I and had been researching ways to treat his opioid dependence and depression, and was intrigued to give psychedelics a try. One very weird take away from this: "...the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood". Not only did the mushroom spores survive boiling, but they germinated and started growing in his bloodstream according to this. Curious about the wider evolutionary implications of this pertaining to the mushroom...given how tough and resilient mushroom spores appear to be, it calls into question the hypothesis put forward that psilocybin acts as a repellent...perhaps it more likely acts as an attractant. Makes me curious about the association of P. cubensis with bovine dung, perhaps bovines are ingesting spores and helping distribute them...I wouldn't put it past those crafty fungi. https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7mp74/man-injects-magic-mushrooms-they-grow-in-his-blood Study: Giancola et al. (2021) A “trip” to the ICU: intravenous injection of psilocybin. Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, In Press. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266729602030015X
    • Samwise
      Thanks guys. I inoculated the LC via an agar wedge. Although the mycelium in the LC looked a bit lackluster, it does seem to be colonsing jars of rice/dung without issue. Time and heat definitely isn't an issue, the room the LC and grain jars are being stored in is nice and warm, and initial growth was rapid. Thank you for the recipe switch recommendation...I will definitely try this if I have issues.
    • Mushinist
      More buds, and back corner is those pereskiopsis 
    • mushmouth
      What's going on over there on the right?