Spore Print Shelf Life

Ryeguy85

I Know there is alot of controversy over this topic in particular. I wanted to start this thread for people to post their experiances with the shelf life of spore prints. How long have your prints stayed viable. Only spores that actually germinated after a certain amount of time please.Feel free to post your results.post-67-0-53723900-1333500501_thumb.jpgTake care Ryeguy

Mush Zombie

I had one over a year old that worked for me recently. I would suspect that they last a very long time if kept properly.

Ryeguy85

Lol the actual main reason why i have this thread going is because i have about 30 strains in my library and i will definatly not have the time to grow them all out. I am really just trying to hold on to them. I dont know how well this will work out for me.

• Like 1

I've heard they will last for years if kept cool and dry.I recently read somewhere that refrigerator is great but IDK..I like to believe if I stopped growing suddenly, I could pick it up again in 10 years with a sporeprint to LC to nice bulk tub.I keep mine in a ziplok bag with dessicant packs in a sealed container in basement

Those Who Were

I never really put much thought into if, don't have tones of prints but I just assumed spores would last quite a few years...or at least as long as seeds

Twotails

Mushrooms have been around for, well, a reeeealy long time xD and the oldest was 1.5-2million years old (a fungal spore in a antartic ice core) ( http://books.google.com/books?id=5LyKrci1FLAC&pg=PA238&lpg=PA238&dq=oldest+viable+fungal+spores&source=bl&ots=OUwMEIlV7d&sig=cY0mVPAofmbdfe4G8XO3a5KGC24&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sT98T76oOOLZ0QHKztzZCw&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ )Granted, its not the same mushroom spores, but it dose show that when the conditions are right, things will survive (also, I've have MSS viable after a year, knowing that, if they were(like my collection is) printed, dried, sealed, and filed away under climate controlled conditions, it should last many, many years.)i keep my spores in bags, inside a small locking box, and store that in the refrigerator. seeing as there protected from heat, moisture, and light, these spores should last quite a wile(i need to grow soon, so ill be going through the box xD)well, that's just my two cents, its early xD so sorry if i don't make sense, lol

Flawedprophecy

If kept properly I think they would last longer than you would.Also about that contaming from very fresh spores Hunter, ole Workman said that after 6 months any contam in the print would die off, leaving only mushroom spores. I've had the same thing happen.

• Like 1
Those Who Were

I have used prints that were several years old. Dry spores keep for a long time. :D

Squid....I have syringes that are older than a yr old and i have NO doubt they will produce for me. i used a PE syringe from SW that was about 6 mo's old and i got great results from it...only thing is, it did not produce classic "PE" But a new abborrant that grew very large shrooms and Very "classic" PE potency!I am prepping jars for this genetic regression Tomorrow!Peace.NS
Those Who Were

Keep in mind that plastics baggies let moisture and air through them. There is not a plastic baggie on this earth that will seal 100% over a time period.Keep your prints (and mushrooms) in a glass mason jar with desiccant packets and they will last a very long time. I have used spore prints in 2010 that were dated from 1997....they worked with no issues. On the flip side...I have used spore prints from weeks off that contamed instantly.Store them properly and they last quite a long time.

I see the Man is back...........I would like to know if you ever got your "shed Type" grow house up and running?Peace HGT.NS
  • 4 years later...