• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

zipzap

White Fuzz, Specks, And Covered Cap

Question

zipzap

This is flush 2, ~24 hours after undunking.

Signs & Symptoms

• White completely covering a cap - (pic 3)
  • White specs on other caps - (1-3)
  • Clumps of white fuzz almost looking like cobweb but less stringy and white (not gray) - (1-3)

I don't know what it is as I'm still very new at this - it just caught my eye and threw up red flags

What do you think?

Side Note: In flush 1, at the very bottoms, some stems had very fine (short) white hair on them, mostly on the largest mushrooms.  Being unsure if it was a 'tam or not I harvested/dried stored them.  Z strain.

-----Should those be tossed?

post-3072-0-75868000-1370910387_thumb.jp

post-3072-0-84314400-1370910404_thumb.jp

post-3072-0-78624400-1370910414_thumb.jp

7 answers to this question

shroomy_peace

let em go longer, the caps that have it on them are probably aborts that are supporting myc growth again. The fuzzy stuff at the bases I've seen before due to higher fruiting temps (76*+) and high RH (90%+). What are your fruiting temps? RH? I'd wait it out for another few days and see what happens. If there is no green, I'd harvest and munch :D

zipzap

Thanks shroomy_peace for the insight.  No green yet :D

Fruiting temps have been 70-74* F, and ~60% RH outside tubs for both measurements.  They are in zombie tubs so I would speculate the RH is a lot higher inside (as it should be by design), and possibly the temperature too.  I can rig my sensor inside for a day and check it out.  Will post back.

Is it common for myc to have a growth phase/increase again just after dunking?  If so, that could account for the white fuzz in the crevices of the casing.

shroomy_peace

It is common for it to colonize on the dead tissue from aborts or if they are fruiting for a long period of time. The fuzzy spots are the kind of myc growth (not rhizo) can't remember what it is called, but usually that happens when it isn't actually growing to something, just off of something IME.

kibbles

Same thing happened to me.(same symptoms but with my ksc strain. High temp high humidity over 2 week flush. Ill find out if its bad soon enough :P

zipzap

It is common for it to colonize on the dead tissue from aborts or if they are fruiting for a long period of time.

Thanks for the details! That one white one has stayed as-is and the rest of the zt is still fruiting, albeit more slowly than the tub next to it, but the rest of it looks good. In in-tub humidity is 95%, and temp is 69F. And all the stems have fuzz on them, but it looks healthy.

The The fuzzy spots are the kind of myc growth (not rhizo) can't remember what it is called, but usually that happens when it isn't actually growing to something, just off of something IME.

I want to say cottony but am probably wrong. Interesting side note: I did get one mushroom with a crazy looking deformed cap... Will post a picture when I get the chance. kibbles: report back once you know the outcome, it'll make this thread have twice the anecdotal evidence (which is almost all we have)!

bonegrow

It's your RH. cased substrate shouldn't be any higher than 85%.I've had the same issue with a tub that I couldn't fan as much because of the work week. The RH was super high and the mycelium fuzz was every where.Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

zipzap

It's your RH. cased substrate shouldn't be any higher than 85%. I've had the same issue with a tub that I couldn't fan as much because of the work week. The RH was super high and the mycelium fuzz was every where. Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

+1 Now to loosen the polyfill some more..  thanks for the cutoff number (85%) as I like having numbers to work with - it makes measurements useful by giving them a reference  :)

Thanks everyone for the general knowledge, this community is an abundance of help and support