• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

BEYOND2

BEYONDS CHEAP/EASY LC LIDS

BEYOND2

should i add that vacuum removal tek that i put in the honey LC to this

Mush Zombie

should i add that vacuum removal tek that i put in the honey LC to this

If you want to, but its not really necessary bc anyone who reads this will also read the honey LC tek

BEYOND2

ya ok cool

im a fun guy

Awesome, simple tek. Gonna pick up some RTV Silicone today.

SquidHead

Just FYI normal sylicon from the harware store works just fine. You don't need the high temp RTV stuff because the regular silicon for your home's bath/kitchen has a heat rating of about 400 degrees. Being that temps in your PC at about 15lbs only reach about 255 it not really necessary to use that stuff. But do as you wish I just say this cause you can save a couple dollars and the big tubes seem to save better as long as you cap it off when storing.

• Like 2

Mush Zombie

There is a marked difference in performace between the two IME. Regular silicone will work just fine, but RTV is used to seal gaskets in cars. The RTV has properties that allow it to expand, and contract, without turning brittle, for long periods of time, sometimes beyond 10 years in high heat and corrosive environments. So basically, it lasts longer and performs better than regular silicone IME. RTV or Regular silicone can be used, but I have to replace my regular silicone S.H.I.P much more often. I find that they leak quite quickly. This will also depend on how often you use your LC. When I grow mushrooms, of any kind, I grow A LOT at once. It's also nice to know that the RTV will hold up even after 10 PC runs.

• Like 1

SquidHead

You are probably right about the longevity of the RTV sealant MZ. I like to make new lids for my LC's often because I feel that some of my past contams I have had have come from within the injection ports. Small droplets of LC can get trapped within the port and can contam on occasion. At least thats my theory cause I have lost (not recently anymore) what I thought were healthy LC (and they were) I contributed this to the re-used lid. Thats why, I guess it doesn't bother me cause I will take the old port out and make new ones again after a few uses just in case so I don't run into the problem of them wearing out.

Mush Zombie

Same thing used to happen to me with regular silicone ships. Also the way you make them will play a role in the longevity, and functionality. I like to take two little pieces of paper, and press both sides of the RTV down with them, so that the RTV becomes flat, and compressed in the center. This has eliminated all of my LC contam issues. Also always wipe the SHIP with alcohol before and after every use. I dont just wipe it though, i get a paper towel real saturated with isopropyl alcohol, and let it sit on the port for about a minute before and after.

SquidHead

Oh yeah they always get a good alcohol cleansing before use.

Mush Zombie

The wiping statement was not directed towards you. I know you know that LOL I learned from you in the beginning of my cube mastery :P It was just for anyone who was reading and needed that tid bit. Sometimes its easy to forget to do the small things.

AL2O3

I have paid for the pre made ship and the seem to not hold up as well as RTV . I prefer to make ships now, and have many of the pre mades left.

im a fun guy

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

phish

I have paid for the pre made ship and the seem to not hold up as well as RTV . I prefer to make ships now, and have many of the pre mades left.

I agree with you al on the ships.I've got almost a dozen left unused with no intention of using them again.I don't feel they seal up well after getting hit with a 16ga(what I use) or even an 18ga needle.Seems like the flat cap the needle penetrates is really thin.

phish

I'll probably send them out with my next print offer.

SlimJim

Also when anyone uses these (which I highly recommend as well) make sure you let the LC cool in the PC overnight to avoid a vacuum being formed. If you do not let the LC cool completly and a vaucuum is formed, the vacuumm wil suck all the spores out of your syinge, or if you are making a clone, will be really hard to get off in the Glovebox.

Ultimate vacuum release:

Posted Image

Polyfill stuffed syringe with double layer tyvek rubberbanded over the top.

• Like 2

BEYOND2

nice slim jim thats cool

autogarsas

Hi guys, sorry that starting first post with question, but head is blowing from reading everything, not thinking about intruducing thready :facepalm: How LC will breath using this method, rather one with two holes?

AL2O3

Hi guys, sorry that starting first post with question, but head is blowing from reading everything, not thinking about intruducing thready :facepalm: How LC will breath using this method, rather one with two holes?

LC do need to have a vacuum released if they are sealed, the fungi can live in a somewhat anaerobic environment., when you have a sealed LC lid it is est to fill it only half way, and that is enough air to give you good myc growth.

mynameispaige

Just made the lids, covered them with micropore tape to make them a bit neater. Is it possible to put them in the PC before the 24 hour cure time is up? I would love to be able to make the LC tonight and inoculate in the morning. Is 12 hours of drying time enough?

BEYOND2

Just made the lids, covered them with micropore tape to make them a bit neater. Is it possible to put them in the PC before the 24 hour cure time is up? I would love to be able to make the LC tonight and inoculate in the morning. Is 12 hours of drying time enough?

ya you could PC em if its not completely dry but they need to be completely dry before you noccem up usually the outside will be dry but the middle wont be which will screw you over so IMO id wait, you dont want that RTV all over your needle