• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Mush Zombie

50/50+ Mushroom Casing Technique

AL2O3

very nice MZ, thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

BEYOND2

ill have to try this one ive been doin the 50/50 jiffy seed starter and vermiculite which works pretty good

Mush Zombie

ill have to try this one ive been doin the 50/50 jiffy seed starter and vermiculite which works pretty good

the jiffy mix is 50/50 (peat/verm ph adjusted) it works good too, especially for mushrooms like cubes that dont take forever to fruit. but when you have a species that likes a neutral to slightly alkaline casing, and it takes forever to pin, you need to add the oyster shells. They are a long term PH buffer that lasts way after the lime has failed. Even in casings for cubes etc, the oyster shells add structure to the casing layer, and allow for better gas exchange between the myc and the air, creating a better pinset with less work for it (zombie tubs/mono tubs)
  • Like 1

thepuma

has to be course verm hey? I have medium by the score!

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

has to be course verm hey? I have medium by the score!

coarse is best to use, yes. I guess you could use medium, but you will definately want to add the oyster shells more than ever. There wont be much structure to the casing without it, to allow for the best gas exchange. The secret to this tek it's ability to create valleys and ridges (structure) in the casing, which allows for gas exchange. It trumps other casings, like verm, which turn into a flattened mat.
  • Like 1

thepuma

ok so course even on the sub/mix ? or can I add shells with it or shells only on the top?

Mush Zombie

ok so course even on the sub/mix ? or can I add shells with it or shells only on the top?

:huh: Mix all of the ingredients together, before adding water.

thepuma

:huh: Mix all of the ingredients together, before adding water.

LOL sorry I asked that question stupid. I meant should I go 1/4" or half using medium verm?

Mush Zombie

1/4" should be alright. Casings will work even if it is straight verm. But it is the quality of the casing that makes the biggest difference. I would say, just be careful how much, and how hard you mist, to make sure you dont flatten it out, and you should be alright. Most species that we deal with dont need a casing. This casing that we use for them protects the sub from drying out, and adds an extra moisture base for the mushrooms to draw from. Thats really all its for. In the book "the mushroom cultivator" they say to use 1/2" casings for very large substrates. I dont think anyone of use is going to have a 5' (H)x 5' (W) x 6" (D) substrate, so 1/4 should be just fine.

• Like 1

thepuma

I plan on using a Zombie Tub for the no mist reason, same casing style still work?

moon_walker
I also have added oyster chell to my sub mix cuz i heard it makes it stronger so you dont pull your sub apart when you pull the fruits, but on the subs i have pulled on my most recent zombie tubs ive really had no problem with that anyway when harvest comes. I like this casing tek i am going to use that on my next grow for sure. good luck to you Puma. :hippie:

thepuma

thanks Moon how much of the shells do you add to your sub or do you just case the top of it?

moon_walker
Well in my 6qt dub tubs "zombie tubs" ive added probly 'round a cup . I read somewhere that myc loves latchin to the shell chunks but i need to get more, this thread is actually the first time i read a casing tek that had it in it. but if Mz says its good then you know its good, maybe try putin it in the sub mix and this casing tek,. probly get some real beauties.do you have a grow log going or anythin?

Mush Zombie

I have never heard of using oyster shells in sub. I dont really see how it would make a difference. If the myc network has a strong hold on the substrate then it will generally be easy to pluck them off IME.

• Like 1

moon_walker
your probly right MZ the tek i saw it on was for a cake method but i just figured it proly wouldn hurt to try it on a bulk method too. haha

• Topics

• Crackeddoor
      After mixing together a bunch of wbs jars with substrate,I underestimated how much it would make, I've been trying to do away with the big monotubs because it's hard to hide so I've been doing bags ,well I ran out of spawn bags so i put the remainder of my spawn in 4 one gallon ziplock bags that i cut a hole in and taped tyvlek to. The problem is the substrate is 4 inches thick in these one gallon bags . I let them colonize for 12 days, during the spawn run the mycelium went nuts , it even grew through the tyvlek patch , its strong and healthy looking growing up the sides of the bags , and it's already pinning. The thing is  I cant  possibly see how it could work with the bags being so full of substrate , I was just kind of rushed and didnt want to waste anything so I threw it in bags not really expecting it to work . The bags are so healthy looking I hate to throw them out , but I'm not sure what to do . Any suggestions? Two of my bags are just verm and the other two are cmc, coir ,and verm... any help would be greatly appreciated ... thank you 
    • Chuggychow
      I just ordered the 23 quart presto pressure cooker. Does anyone use this type for sterilizing jars or bags? I’m thrilled that I can start doing my own substrates now but I’ve never used a PC before is it pretty easy? 
    • Moonphase
      Pulled a gallon bag of substrate out of the freezer.   I'm going to spawn some of the Jalisco jars this next week.   See what happens.    
    • BlurryFace
      So today was a busy day! Transfered ropey strands from the fully colonized GT and KSSS bags to Petri dishes, really hope that some beautiful ropey myc comes of it.  Dycorotic and rizomorphic growth is beautiful.Just a quick peek of a Thai strand going into the dish before we finished up there and went on to start setting up the tubs to spawn to substrate 1 to 3 ratio. This is the Golden Teacher just placed and not spread out yet, ready to be foil wrapped and moved into incubation for 10 days.Volcano at around 10 days and will be getting the casing put over as well today along with two others to be shown later on this day. A wonderful picture of the inside of the greenhouse with what we have started and growing bigger everyday lol. And the final picture showing the humidifier and fan in working order. Would always be welcome to any ideas or different ways to look at things in getting them to grow better! Thank you  
    • Tigerlily
      How did your albinos turn out? Sorry for using old thread. I'm doing albinos rn and cant seem to find much info