Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Neowulf

cakes
Neowulf's Take on Poor Mans Pod

22 posts in this topic

NICE Fruiting chamber. well put togeather

Excellent work Neo!

Yeah i like it because it don't look all horrible like most things i do lol.... Anyways not sure what the RH is staying at because my hygrometer is super cheap put even its been pinged at 90% since i put it together. Just gonna watch it a few days for water consumption and FAE.... i have some pins im going to keep an eye on to see if there not getting enough. I might need another air pump.

OH YES MAN very nice fruiting chanber i need a few of those lol ;) Like i dont have enough on the go lol :)

I like your pod sir. Good write up!

im going to build a large one one of these im thinking of using window screen on wood home made rack the size of bin is 104 qt any other ilollypopss that i can use for a rack will there be enouf fae would be helpful thank you for your time

Waw Nice Tek Neo .Never hear About Hydroton. sHould Go Chek Around To find Sommes . Thanks !!! :clap:

window screen sounds great bob should work well

I would think the nylon(synthetic) type door/window screening would work well. No oxidizing, white crust and synthetic is easy to rinse and keep clean. ;)

Hello All,

I just finished building my PMP but I can't seem to get my humidity above 75-80%, any ilollypopss where I have gone wrong? I had the tub built with the rubber seal off, but putting it on did not help. I then added the foil but I did not see a differance either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

are you fanning it out? if so, how often?

Fanning? Why would I fan with nothing inside the chamber? I'm just trying to get the conditions absolutely right.

Fanning? Why would I fan with nothing inside the chamber? I'm just trying to get the conditions absolutely right.

Thats why. Fanning increases vapor pressure, which causes evaporation. when evaporation is occuring, the relative humidity increases. When you have your cakes (or whatever) in there, you will have to fan, which will cause an increase in RH. try it out! But if it doesn't work, then you have another problem. What is the temp inside of your PMP? RH decreases with higher temp if evaporation is not occuring. If all those things are in order, then there is another problem. The only thing left to do if you cant get the RH up is to seal it up as well as you can. I use tubs to grow personally, I never messed with any PMP's. Seems like a headache. https://www.shroomology.com/topic/6-how-to-grow-mushrooms-shrooms-in-bulk-for-beginners/
1 person likes this

Is your humidity gauge correct, some of the cheap ones that are for outdoor monitoring are never right and there's no way to calibrate them. I was at walmart and they had like 10 diffetent makes and none of them read the same. Some were 40% different than the one right next to it. You can get a zoomed hygrometer for like 10 bucks from petsmart or any petstore. They should carry something to calibrate it as well.

1 person likes this

Is your humidity gauge correct, some of the cheap ones that are for outdoor monitoring are never right and there's no way to calibrate them. I was at walmart and they had like 10 diffetent makes and none of them read the same. Some were 40% different than the one right next to it. You can get a zoomed hygrometer for like 10 bucks from petsmart or any petstore. They should carry something to calibrate it as well.

:thumbs_up: dude i totally forgot about that. Its been so long since i even used one of those things. after a while you just know if theres enough humidity in your tubs, and your martha LOL

I figured i am not ready for a martha and wanted a simple inexpensive solution for fruiting without having to run and fan/mist every few hours.

Do you have to mist with this setup? What kind of RH does the setup maintain? Would it be acceptable for Pans and Mexicana? I'm sure there would have to be constant FAE.

Do you have to mist with this setup? What kind of RH does the setup maintain? Would it be acceptable for Pans and Mexicana? I'm sure there would have to be constant FAE.

nope no need to fan or mist. It keeps about 90-95% humidity. I cant speak for Pans ans Mex but it probably wouldn't be optimal for them. PMP tend to run a little short on FAE. There pretty damn good for cubes. Things that need more might not do so well. With my pump and tub size i think it worked out to .02cfm and about 1 full exchange every 3 hours. Its great for cakes and getting started in trays.

I think that pans could work with some modifications. Thanks for the write up and thanks for the reply!

I think that pans could work with some modifications. Thanks for the write up and thanks for the reply!

you could grow pans or mex in a PMP made into a rich mans pod LOL

nope no need to fan or mist. It keeps about 90-95% humidity. I cant speak for Pans ans Mex but it probably wouldn't be optimal for them. PMP tend to run a little short on FAE. There pretty damn good for cubes. Things that need more might not do so well. With my pump and tub size i think it worked out to .02cfm and about 1 full exchange every 3 hours. Its great for cakes and getting started in trays.

I feel stupid asking questlions because it seems like I followed the steps.... I got another Hum Guage and it seems to be reading more accurately but im still not close to 90%. I have the Fusion quiet power 700 pump, its a variable air pump http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Fusion-Aquarium/dp/B0018CLGC0/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1 and two of these air stones http://www.amazon.com/Green-Mineral-Airstone-Shape-Aquarium/dp/B0050HC8CG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347327812&sr=1-3&keywords=airstone. I have tried setting the pump on high and low, and got nothing.

Should I drill bigger holes? at the top? I have two on either side of the tub, about 1/8 size holes.

Do I actually have to have cakes in there to get to 90%? Or do i have to get to 90-95% before I put them inside.

you will be fine with 80 % RH , that is muggy!! you do not have to have the RH up before you put the cakes in , as the pump moves air thru the water it will cause the water to become the RH of the chamber and the air flow of this will give you the correct FAE and evaporation for pinning to occur. the pour mans pod is a auto chamber, it does the fanning and misting all in one.