Pink Oyster BRF cakes

Mush Zombie

Pink oyster BRF cakes are pretty cool! They are doing really well, but supposedly Pink Oysters are very productive as it is. They are a very pretty bright pink, and there are pins EVERYWHERE on this one cake, that is sitting at the bottom of my GH, on top of the perlite. post-1-0-65817700-1339101811_thumb.jpg post-1-0-05936500-1339101830_thumb.jpg post-1-0-63808600-1339101881_thumb.jpg

Very Nice, MZ.

I lost my Pearl Oysters, my Yellow Oysters, my Pioppinis, my Criminis & my Golden Beech cultures... apparently, the only thing I'm good at producing is Cubes :D

Neowulf

yah i love cakes....have a question though why you got them on the floor on the perlite it looks like you got plenty of space on your racks....also noticing some pileup of water on the foil that could be a hazard. You see it better in the second pic put if you look closer at the 1st pic you can see one corner sitting in a puddle :P

Mush Zombie

they seem to be doing just fine the way they are. one thing about the way I cultivate mushrooms is I just dont baby them. A while back I would have said that a martha is a HUGE waste of time, space and materials, and I still say so when it comes to cubes. SO hovering over my grows is not something that I care to do. And generally, because I let them do their thing, I get great results with any species (with the correct environment). However, Not all species are as hearty, or adaptable as cubes, which is why I have a GH. Oysters love fresh air, and they demand it to perform like these beautiful specimens that I have here. It might be surprising to know that the Co2 is most likely lower at the bottom of my GH than the top, due to the set up of it, and the way that the air comes in and is pushed around, then escapes. Understand that the mycelium excretes mycotoxins that are lethal to competitor spores. So if the cake isnt contaminated from crappy inoculation procedures, it will do just fine until the PH sinks to a certain level, or all the nutes have been consumed. That is when competitors will infest and degrade the dead/dying mycelium. As long as the water does not pool or stay on the mushrooms themselves, they will be fine. Also, the RH in the GH declines as it elevates. Its almost 5'6" tall, so I want the oysters on the perlite bc high RH will make them burst with fruits. The other cake is yellow oyster.

SquidHead

I have never tried oysters on BRF cakes before nice MZ! I actually have a jar of Pinks on grain that is half colonized right now, but I will be fruiting it off of aspen chips most likely when its ready. I will be watchin this one in the meantime for sure!

Mush Zombie

18 hours later, that Pink Oyster BRF cake is producing at a pretty incredible rate. Most of you know, I am not a fan of cakes. But these cakes are SWEET! :Dpost-1-0-86812500-1339166037_thumb.jpg post-1-0-45818900-1339166050_thumb.jpg Did I mention that I dont do anything but refill the humidifier thats in the GH? No misting, No fanning. I just look in once in a while.

Looking good MZ! You'll love the Pinks on the cakes! They do great, trust me, and when I update my log (yeah i know.. ) you'll see, they rock!! but good job mang! ;)

Mush Zombie

Do you think that they would do better on a traditional bulk type of sub, like straw or wood? Something bigger? While this was easy to grow, the mushrooms are very small, and the ones that develop into mature adults will be few. I cant say for the quality of the mushrooms either. I will know soon though. I am preparing to innoculate wood subs, and straw subs with the same strain. I am sure that its much more practical than BRF (cost:yeild:time). But this was a cool experiment. I really just wanted to see if it would work on BRF, and we can see, that it certainly does!

KICKASS

MZ....Do you think that they would do better on a traditional bulk type of sub, like straw or wood? Something bigger?

Black mouse and Al203 shure know how to rock the oy's. Those are my go to guys. The basket tek is too easy!

Looks like there gonna *POP* out! I wounder if you will need something to keep them from falling over? kinda like a top heavy chick!!?lol

Dozzer

Awesome MZ, I knew you would do cakes at some point...and Im lovin the Pink Pins man, Great job Bro !!

MZ....Do you think that they would do better on a traditional bulk type of sub, like straw or wood? Something bigger?

Black mouse and Al203 shure know how to rock the oy's. Those are my go to guys. The basket tek is too easy!

Looks like there gonna *POP* out! I wounder if you will need something to keep them from falling over? kinda like a top heavy chick!!?lol

Wikki...gal I got the top heavy girls covered, I was born with 2 very strong supporting hands to help them stay up rite till they feel like falling over with me :P

Peace

**D**

Mush Zombie

Do you think that they would do better on a traditional bulk type of sub, like straw or wood? Something bigger?

That was just a rhetorical question :lol: Of course i KNOW that they will do better on bulk type subs. Everything does!
floydshaman

i think thats the first pink oyster grow ive seen actually the reishi also very cool lookin! how do they taste btw? what are the reishi growing on? also i have never seen edibles grown on cakes thats a great idea!

Mush Zombie

i think thats the first pink oyster grow ive seen actually the reishi also very cool lookin! how do they taste btw? what are the reishi growing on? also i have never seen edibles grown on cakes thats a great idea!

Here is the link to my reishi log

https://www.shroomol...reishi-lingzhi/

I will be growing MANY gourmet and medicinal species over the six months, in accordance with the weather. Up next is phoenix oyster, cordyceps militaris, and king oyster (although its probably way to warm for king oyster.) Right now my grow room is about 75-77* F so I can only do the warm weather species until fall.

Reishi is an amazing mushroom... Its my favorite out of all the mushrooms I have grown. Pink oyster is really easy, quick, and gratifying. Its like a cube, of sorts so ,its a nice break bc Reishi grows SOOOO SLOOOWWWW!

Reishi does not taste good. I am making double extracts with polar and non polar substances, then mixing the extract with Sunny D. Or I just make Resihi tea with Sunny D.

Mush Zombie

Here are the pink oysters, mature on the little cake: post-1-0-88139700-1339353167_thumb.jpg a and now I will eat them post-1-0-38131000-1339353209_thumb.jpg

Neowulf

nice flush. you think your gonna do cakes again or you done with your experiment?

Mush Zombie

I am going to do cakes with all 26 of my gourmet and medicinal cultures, because I am going to attempt them all with every technique that there is to grow them with. Great websites are made of great content, and great mycologists are made with great documentation ;)

• Like 1