Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Flawedprophecy

grain spawn
Wheat Grain Spawn hydration.

16 posts in this topic

Hydrating grain in the beginning can be tricky. Finding the right balance between to dry and to wet takes some practice and is one of the things you have to try yourself to get good at. Different grains will take different times to hydrate properly. For instance WBS will take a different amount of time for all the grains to become hydrated, depending on the many mixes out there that you get. If you use only rye berries, Milo, wheat berries, etc you will have a lot more even and uniform grain batch come from it. There are many ways that people use to hydrate grains. From simmering, boiling, to putting the grain in a 5 gallon bucket and pouring in boiling water and putting the lid on. What works for someone may not work for someone else. The best way I have found to do grain is to simmer, not boil it. The grain will become 3-4 times larger, A easy way I test it along the way is to get a grain and pinch it in my fingers. You are looking for a translucent center. Anything still dry or bright white is not hydrated enough. Before you begin to simmer any of the types of grains you must thoroughly wash them. You want the water to be crystal clear while sifting the grains with your hand. I find that human food grade grains such as wheat berries are 100x cleaner than WBS which will turn the water brown in most cases and require multiple washings. Here is what I started out with, Bobs Redmill represent. :Ppost-11-0-84226500-1339566845_thumb.jpg For this demonstration I used only enough grain for a single jar. Note how full it is and later note how much they expand and fill the jar. My general rule is 1/4 to a 1/3 of a jar in dry grain will fill it enough for use, for me. In reality I just simmer a shitload and guess but usually have some left over that I throw in the yard. post-11-0-21874700-1339566853_thumb.jpg This is simmering stage, I just use my PC to simmer since it is good heavy steel and conducts heat evenly. This is the clarity of water you want in this stage. As they simmer and cook they will tint the water just a light brown and this is perfectly fine and is to be expected. At 3 o' clock you can see some of the grain pushed away from the side. This shows the tint of water and also the buubles on top are tiny. Slow even heating is the best route IMO. post-11-0-00445400-1339566866_thumb.jpg Straining with larger grains isn't to much hassle. I just throw them in a mesh strainer and let them chill for a half hour or so and they are good to go. Note the size, deep brown color, and shininess of the wheat berries (grain.) This is what you are looking for. Nice plump grain but none that have popped or split open. post-11-0-12131500-1339566878_thumb.jpg And this is a side by side dry to properly hydrated gran. From how much we used to what we have in the jar now shows the expansion of the grains, and how much they hydrate. post-11-0-33257400-1339566889_thumb.jpg Again, this is a part of Mycology that has to be tried and tweaked for the individual. This is the first step in the actual growing part and this will make or break the grow from the first step. I am guilty myself of trying to rush through before and have tried to noc too dry grains which resulted in little to no growth, and also tried to noc grains that were to wet and ended up with Bacillus or some sort of contam. Spawn is cheap too, especially if going with animal feed like berries, corn, WBS. They will be dirtier than grains for human consumption but for the price you can get in good practice and over time dial it in to perfection. Patience, practice, and respect are all attributes of a good cultivator. For all the benefits the mushroom gives us, from, very tasty and choice edibles for food, the VAST medical properties of the medicinal class of mushrooms, and the spiritual side of the other side of the class. They are a gift to us and should be given the respect and best conditions for us to let them grow.

2 people like this

great read man.

Yes Flawed.Excellent technique.and a great read.

Very good flawed very good indeed ;) NICE read bro.

nice writeup. i plan to start a transition to grain soon and definitely will come back to this.

Well done Flawed.

so was just in the store and they had same bag as you..... 2lb hard red spring.....my question to you is about how many jars you get from 1 bag?

so was just in the store and they had same bag as you..... 2lb hard red spring.....my question to you is about how many jars you get from 1 bag?

I can't really remember Neo. I want to say one bag will do 5 quarts? You'll love wheat berries though man, so much easier and cleaner to use than WBS. I used WBS for 3 years and first time I used wheat berries I never went back. :)
1 person likes this

thanks for the info flawed

nice....yeah ive tried WBS twice first set contamed to all hell.... second set looked good for a week then stalled. So ima try my run at Rye see how things go.

how long do you simmer for? didnt see it in the post was about to start a batch

I just simmer until it's ready, about 25 minutes or so. When they start getting plump take one and sqish it, when the inside is translucent it's ready.

Well did my jars. I was wondering what you thought. I think they lok dryish but im not sure. I deffinately see some cracked open during PC They look usable? Trash? Add water and re PC? Each pic is a diff jar to show consistency. Pics were taken no more then 5 mins after coming out PC post-238-0-85092800-1339797106_thumb.jpg post-238-0-34426700-1339797112_thumb.jpg post-238-0-22548500-1339797119_thumb.jpg post-238-0-74249400-1339797125_thumb.jpg post-238-0-83554400-1339797132_thumb.jpg post-238-0-47013100-1339797137_thumb.jpg post-238-0-96541000-1339797141_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Looks good to me Neo. :)

saweeet awesome i can sleep now llol

I can't really remember Neo. I want to say one bag will do 5 quarts? You'll love wheat berries though man, so much easier and cleaner to use than WBS. I used WBS for 3 years and first time I used wheat berries I never went back. :)

I started with Rye then Wheat. Stuck with wheat for years, then decided to see what the big fuss was on WBS and then went right back to wheat. Wheat is perfect for this hobby IMO!
2 people like this