• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Lon3St@r

Does This Look Right? Brf Cakes After Pc- 1St Time

Lon3St@r

So I PC'd my BRF cakes last night and let sit in PC and cool overnight.  But when I open and checked these out I see this.

post-3445-0-39167200-1379422973_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-63442100-1379422991_thumb.jp

Almost all but 3 jars looked like the verm and cake separated.  Is this normal?  Never heard of any mention of this.  And on the few that stayed together they looked like this.

post-3445-0-20132900-1379423135_thumb.jp

looks like a lot of moisture.  but I don't know if that's normal.  I only "hand tightened" these.  Did I tighten them too much, hence the moisture?  Did I put too much water in the PC (something I wasn't 100% sure of)?

Any help before I trash the whole lot and just try again?

Thanks guys!

Mush Zombie

yea thats trash

how much water did you put in the PC, and how much water did you put in the cake

Lon3St@r

yea thats trash

how much water did you put in the PC, and how much water did you put in the cake

I put about three inches in the PC, which once all 12 jars were in, it put the water line just under the foil/lid of jars.  In the cakes I used the PF tek you suggested and used about 2oz per cake.  I made enough for 4 cakes at a time.  I used 3 different types of water too.

Lon3St@r

should I trash all of them or just the ones with separation?  

Mush Zombie

i cant really see the rest.

too much water in your PC. you only need about an inch of water up the side of the jars, if that. IDK if the water is what caused this or not though.

Lon3St@r

The last pic is what only 3 of 12 looked like. All others separated from the verm. Checked on them just a lil bit ago and they seem to have "settled" but still have some gaps and separation... thinking I should just trash the whole lot and try again. Definitely too much water in PC... so what should they look like after the PC? Same as what they did going in or with more/ less moisture?

Lon3St@r

post-3445-0-50194100-1379436369_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-11809700-1379436399_thumb.jp

so here are the 8 that look like straight ass! 

close ups

post-3445-0-74765500-1379436430_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-57009000-1379436452_thumb.jp

GRRRR!!!

Lon3St@r

these are the only decent looking ones

post-3445-0-35091500-1379436695_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-80805800-1379436611_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-97511200-1379436732_thumb.jp

But I'm guessing, still not good. . . . BRF cakes 1- ME 0

on to second attempt!

post-3445-0-44969700-1379436582_thumb.jp

Mush Zombie

looks like glue man :/ 

I'll review the steps with you a little later unless someone else gets to it first. No worries you will get it right, i'll make sure of it :)

mtdorashane

U need to use something as a spacer ( like mason jar lids) so your jars are 3 inches off the bottom of your pcer.. now use that 3 inch space for your water.. my water just barley touches the bottom of my mason jars 

mtdorashane

Brf Recipe  = 5, 1/2 pint jars

1 c. brf

1 c. distilled h20

2 c verm (does not need to be coarse) 

First Mix the verm and the water (if u add brf before the water it will not mix well) really well, then mix in your brf. I let it set for about 20 min to evenly absorb all the water.. 

using a spoon fill the mason jars about 1/2 inch from the top (do not pack down !!!!!!!) 

wipe the rim of the jar, then fill with dry verm

Your lid should have 4 small holes covered with ms tape 

place your lid on and cover with foil ... pc for 90 min @ 15 psi

Edited by mtdorashane

shroomy_peace

^this

as long as your mix was field capacity to begin with, that's your problem, too much water in the PC

You don't need as much as you think. I would redo all of them, 1:1 BRF to verm, fill the jars to about an inch from the top, 1/2" of verm, lid, foil, then PC. The jars should be off of the bottom, and if they are submerged at all, it only needs to be a small bit at the bottom of the jars that is underwater. Think of a boiling pot and how much higher the water splashes as it bubbles, that's what you don't want to go over the top of your jars.

You'll get it :)

• Like 1

mtdorashane

my recipe above will be perfect field cap every time... 

Mush Zombie

it wont be feild capacity if you use different types of verm. fine grade can hold more water than coarse, it will be drier. it really depends what kind of verm you use.

PF used fine grade in his cakes. fine can turn to mud though, so i recommend coarse or medium, leaning towards medium since it holds more water.

mtdorashane

i used "horticulture" verm from lowes. Used this in my recipe & as my casing for cakes

post-2471-0-59946200-1379439420_thumb.jp

Edited by mtdorashane

Mush Zombie

thats fine grade, which is what PF used too. If one was using coarse their cakes would be too wet if they added the same amount of water for a fine grade mixture. probably not to the point it would turn to glue though

Lon3St@r

it wont be feild capacity if you use different types of verm. fine grade can hold more water than coarse, it will be drier. it really depends what kind of verm you use.

PF used fine grade in his cakes. fine can turn to mud though, so i recommend coarse or medium, leaning towards medium since it holds more water.

so this is my verm.  Don't think it's fine.  Nothing fine about it.

post-3445-0-80243400-1379513018_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-40389300-1379513007_thumb.jp

post-3445-0-81687200-1379513028_thumb.jp

Gonna give it another go.  I'm pretty sure I had way too much water in the PC.  Gonna use lids to raise them and barely let water touch the bottoms.  I was just concerned it would not be enough and all steam out.

2:1:1 ratio should still be good right?

Lon3St@r

thats fine grade, which is what PF used too. If one was using coarse their cakes would be too wet if they added the same amount of water for a fine grade mixture. probably not to the point it would turn to glue though

that shit was like glue!  hell of a good time cleaning out jars last night.  Bent a spoon I used to get it out!

Lon3St@r

^this

as long as your mix was field capacity to begin with, that's your problem, too much water in the PC

You don't need as much as you think. I would redo all of them, 1:1 BRF to verm, fill the jars to about an inch from the top, 1/2" of verm, lid, foil, then PC. The jars should be off of the bottom, and if they are submerged at all, it only needs to be a small bit at the bottom of the jars that is underwater. Think of a boiling pot and how much higher the water splashes as it bubbles, that's what you don't want to go over the top of your jars.

You'll get it :)

thanks bud!  1:1 ratio? really?

Lon3St@r

One more thing?  Will masking tape work to cover holes?  I bought "medical tape" but think I got the wrong one.  Someone mentioned it should be the "paper" medical tape.  Is this accurate? 

sporeboyz

Micropore tape is what you would want to look for. It's in with all the bandaids at Wally world and its breathable ;)

Edited by sporeboyz

mtdorashane

That's coarse verm, for cakes. Should really be using fine / horticulture verm

Mush Zombie

I use coarse. works great. just need to make sure you mist the cakes directly and keep rh high, because theres not as much water.

looks like youre set up to go bulk though ;)

mtdorashane

If he's having trouble getting the water content right in the cake recipe, he would be better off using "fine" verm, so he doesn't have to estimate the water in the recipe

Lon3St@r

thanks for the advice to both of you.  

MZ- noted about the rh. I'll get with you when it's that time...  yeah, my plan was to go bulk and I started buying supplies (got a big ass bag of perilite too!) long before I decided on which tek I would use.  So, gonna use what I got and hopefully get a few good flushes before moving on to the 6qt dub tub.

MT- I'm gonna go ahead with what I got.  As you can see, I got a little bit to use before I go out buying more.  As for the H2O content, I left it damp enough to squeeze and see/ feel water but with no drips and no water in the bottom of the bowl.  Kinda followed the bulk sub. observation. Hopefully it works.  

Thanks guys, let ya know how it goes